Just because you stay home changing diapers, making lunches, scrubbing toilets etc...doesn't mean that you can't still have a little luxury in your life.
These are a few of my favorite tips for feeling like a "well kept woman", while being a stay at home mom on a budget (these work just as well for stay at home dads)...
1. Put on a hair mask first thing in the morning, and leave it on while you clean and get ready to go. By the time that you rinse it out your hair will be soft and shiny. I don't buy hair masks or deep conditioner anymore, because I realized that I kept getting them as samples when buying other items. Now I keep a little basket in my bathroom filled with my "emergency look like I live under a rock collection." Basically the basket is filled with hair masks, face masks, eye creams... I just use one whenever I feel blah. The best part is they are perfectly portioned out, and they are usually products that I could not afford to buy the entire container of.
2. This one is really fun. Did you know that you can afford your own stylist? J Crew offers free styling online or by phone. Just call this number, or fill out this form and book your appointment. A stylist will ask you a few questions, and then come up with an outfit (s) that works for you.
The best part is that you get free shipping on all of the items that they pick out for you. You do not have to buy anything!! You can use your styling appointment to make a J Crew wish list, or just to get an idea of what type of clothes work best for you.
3. Don't have time to get a pedicure?? Before you go to bed wipe your feet with an acne pad. (yep the type that you probably used to fight pimples back in junior high) Then slather a think lotion (like Eucerin or Aquaphor) on your feet. Throw on a pair of socks, and when you wake up your feet look like they have been scrubbed and massaged all night. They are soft and callus free:)
4. Did you know that you can get your groceries delivered to your door?? This service is not available in every area, but Safeway is expanding it more every day. Head over to their website to see if they deliver to you. Where I live (Southern California), their Vons stores deliver to us. The delivery cost is $12.95, but they make it so easy to get it for free. Typically you can buy 5 items off of a weekly list, and your fee is waived. They also have a baby section, where if you buy 1 item from it your delivery is free (I just stock up on wipes..can't imagine a day that I will not need these). Delivery is free for all first time customers, by using the code EASY7. I can't tell you how much I love this service.
I go online right after putting my son to bed, by the next morning my groceries are at my door. They even offer to bring them into the kitchen for you. You get all of the same in store promotions, and they usually offer a special free item with promo code for home deliveries. My husband and I have discovered some great new items this way. Another reason that I love this service, is because they keep a history of what you buy online and in store (when you use your rewards card). So you can shop from this list, and easily get all of your favorites. I use this list to remember what I need. With everything going on in my life, I do not have time to run back and forth to the store for items that I forgot. Their trucks are refrigerated, so items arrive in great condition. This is such a luxury, I used to get paid $20/hour to be a personal assistant and do things like this. Now you can get it for free:) [My husband and I placed an order when I had my son, we came home to a house filled with groceries. Recommend this to friends that do not have family close by, and are expecting.]
5. Do your hands feel like sand paper, and look like they have aged 100 years since staying home?? Mine did, until I started microwaving Olive Oil for 5 minutes (make sure it is not too hot) and then massaging it into my cuticles and hands. I like to soak my nails in it for a few minutes, before massaging it in. I do this a few times a week. Don't worry a little olive oil goes a long way. The best time to do this is before bed, then you can wake up with soft younger looking hands. You can wipe the excess off with a towel, and it still works.
Now I just need to come up with a good trick to emulate sleep;)
Do you have any great tips?? Share yours below.
I will send the best one posted today (8/23) a $10 Shutterfly giftcard:)